Warrior Women: prayer flag #11

4 Feb

This morning I’m thinking about a warrior woman–one woman in particular–a scrappy keeper-of-goats living in the harsh yet beautiful desert of the SW.    Not a place for the weak of body or spirit.  I’m joining her this morning in solidarity, vowing to take back what I’ve been relinquishing–stepping out of this small, spiteful drama and reclaiming, to the degree that I can–a sense of perspective–a sense of how it goes.  Viewing the big screen in high definition.onewomancu

warrior-woman

This warrior woman was part of a weaving exercise using a little box as the loom.  She stands on cloth dyed with black walnuts.  Mounted on fabric mordanted with sumac.  Her head is one half of a sampler I made while practicing slow cloth with Jude Hill.  And yes, Jude Hill is a warrior as well.  As was my mother.   As is my daughter.  My sister, friends cousins and nieces.  This is for you.

9 Responses to “Warrior Women: prayer flag #11”

1. journeyhouse February 4, 2017 at 11:03 am #

Oh, Patricia. I just lost my dear friend, muse, weaving mentor. She was a keeper of goats (in New Jersey!!!). She was a warrior against ovarian cancer. Your post today really hit home to me. Thank you, yet again. Laura

• Patricia February 5, 2017 at 12:39 pm #

Oh Laura, so very very sorry. I hope your grief will somehow serve you well. And pray her bravery will give you strength.

• journeyhouse February 5, 2017 at 12:49 pm #

I feel her hands working with mine. Thank you, Patricia.

2. Mo Crow February 4, 2017 at 11:36 am #

standing strong

• Patricia February 5, 2017 at 12:40 pm #

yes. we will. we are. we must.

3. Liz A February 4, 2017 at 11:57 am #

“Kachina” was my first thought. Then my mind went into hyper-drive …

This series is positively metaphorical. Torn and tattered cloth morphing into new forms, housing pockets of resistance, weaving the broken fabric of our country into women warriors for peace. Our weapons against the darkness will be our words, our cloth, our iconography. And the world will know our truth.

Thank you for giving me this vision of hope.

• Patricia February 5, 2017 at 12:44 pm #

This is brilliant. kachina–yes. and the rest as you say–cloth shape shifting into many forms. rending a hole for the light to enter. thank you so much for these observations.

4. Nancy February 4, 2017 at 6:06 pm #