Good Seed Rising–Marking Time

24 Jun

Two new very slow cloths are beginning to evolve–initially scraps stitched together to insure they didn’t disappear into the dyed scrap vortex. And now they’re holding story of sorts. Not sure at this point where they’re headed. Maybe free motion stitching filled in a la “Khaos?” Maybe not. Still unfolding. But they’ve whispered their names:

Good Seed Rising ~ 24″ x 14″

DSC03154

Marking Time ~ 20″ x 24″
marking time

I’m ambivalent about Marking Time–maybe because it seems so literal? but as I study it on the screen, I’m seeing something in the center, in the gray rectangle. It looks like a bird.

And just a word on this whole eco dyeing process. It’s amazing. Yesterday I spotted a sourwood tree that was little and very accessible. Not in anyone’s yard. In fact, it was in a dead-end alley that I drove down simply because I had a feeling. And there it was. Sourwood. The tree that gets so large, harvesting leaves requires a ladder. But I’ve seen the amazing marks the leaves leave. And I’ve turned into a dangerous driver trying to locate them.

So this. A cross section of another silk scarf. Toned down with a soak in water holding rusty objects. Initially it was really blue. Heading out in a bit to harvest a few more leaves. This time will let the scarf dry before I decide on the color.  Sumac leaves are proving the resist.  Unintentionally.

DSC03148

13 Responses to “Good Seed Rising–Marking Time”

1. Nancy June 24, 2015 at 9:07 am #

OOh…I like! I see the bird too, so clearly. Be careful now gathering leaves!

• Patricia June 25, 2015 at 10:47 am #

i can’t find it now–the bird. it’s here in the picture but when i look at the cloth–nada.

2. grace June 24, 2015 at 9:43 am #

it is interesting, i just approached the computer screen from across the room and
    saw Marking Time as a “room” or “space” in the distance…center…with a way to
    it opening out beneath….the perspective all changed for me…
    Both of these are stunning dye pieces.
    I looked up Sourwood tree…many uses…Cherokee tree…
    Thinking this morning that as time goes on and you accumulate small scraps, in my
    case, REALLY SMALL scraps, you might be kind enough to offer them for sale,
    baggies, to those of us that are not dyers??????? just a hope….
    looking VERY much forward to your work with these two pieces

• Patricia June 25, 2015 at 10:50 am #

Cherokee yes. arrow shafts from the sourwood. and a little envelope is in the mail. a gift from these parts.

3. Marti June 24, 2015 at 10:13 am #

it gets in the blood doesn’t it, this need to stop the car, or stop the walk, bend and touch and if it is windfall, put into the cloth bag that is always by my side…both pieces, so beautiful, so earthy with the colors and markings of the land. Good Seed Rising especially sings to me because our first sunflower opened today, I plant the autumnal
    colors, not the solely yellow colors and here in your cloth, the rusty bit rising from the diagonal cloth, is a sunflower…sunflowers, beauty, seeds for birds and humans, tall sentinels of the season…love this cloth.

Marking Time just fills the senses, especially the center piece, the L shaped piece with its colors of rust and blue, summer and sky and right below it, the darker cloth of seasons moving on, the almost ghostly image of leaves falling…

As you mentioned Patricia, your cloths telling stories and the gift of naturally dyeing cloths that come together in a piece is that we each feel the pull of the thread/story line.

• Patricia June 25, 2015 at 10:52 am #

oh yes. i’m in love. after several years of fits and starts the muse has settled. i think for me it’s the magic that intrigues me. the not knowing what will happen. and of course marks. moments in time. moments in place.’the earth’s signature.

4. debbie.weaver June 24, 2015 at 11:32 am #

Lovely pieces, I see the bird, Marti is right it gets in your blood, every leaf, flower a potential mark on cloth or paper.

• Patricia June 25, 2015 at 10:53 am #

i hope i can find it–the bird. funny how things appear and disappear.

5. ravenandsparrow June 24, 2015 at 12:12 pm #

These pieces are fascinating! The bird is unmistakeable, but every scrap has its own life, adding it gracefully to the whole. On the scarf I like how the sumac leaves buck the trend.

• Patricia June 25, 2015 at 10:54 am #

i hope to have a few more done today. loving your indigo forest cl.oth

6. Liz June 24, 2015 at 3:31 pm #

Marking Time puts me in mind of Sharon McCartney, whose textile collages have long intrigued me http://www.sharonmccartneyart.com/

I’m looking forward to watching the little bird … and I absolutely love the colors in the scarf

• Patricia June 25, 2015 at 10:54 am #

i’ll check her out–thanks. and yes, your help in watching/finding the little bird will be appreciated.

7. Mo Crow June 25, 2015 at 1:08 pm #

an elegance of cloths

O ECOTEXTILES

INDULGENT YET RESPONSIBLE.

Inspiration for soul-divers, seekers, and activists.