It’s All a Wonder

8 May

So…this is our first spring here.  Seeing with beginner eyes.    And there is a LOT.  A few weeks ago this plant started popping up in front of the house.  It’s in a strange place.  And it looked like asparagus.  Now this.  DSC02960
False Blue Indigo.  Attracts butterflies.  Leaves like legumes.  DSC02980 DSC02979 DSC02978 DSC02976 DSC02975
And thisDSC02977

became this:

DSC02973 DSC02963

The result of purple iris and dandelion blossoms. And this is amazing, a gift, the thickest black walnut paste ever–DSC02972

And the dyer’s garden is happy…coming along. It’s been a cool spring and for that I am grateful…DSC02953 I’ve been calling this weld. Started it last year in my much missed garden. Dug it up this spring and moved it here. But I think it’s woad.

And this–(look close–the succulent stems are about to unfold) will be MADDERDSC02958…and in five years the roots can be harvested. I paused, just now, to imagine madder root in five years. Calculated how old I would be–72–and love the thought of my own roots growing in tandem with madder. Deep. The color of blood…liquid life.

And finally, because these help me do other things, a baskowl inspired by orange poppies:
spring poppiesShopping Place

10 Responses to “It’s All a Wonder”

1. grace May 8, 2015 at 9:45 am #

you are INCREDIBLY LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!! just look at This!!!!
    i am so excited for you….how amazing that it is all just there, like it was Waiting for YOU!
    this makes me so so Happy

• Patricia May 8, 2015 at 8:47 pm #

we are incredibly lucky–who would have known that so much would unfold. and there’s a quality here of serenity.. and so for now we will caretake this space …and appreciate its beauty

2. Liz May 8, 2015 at 10:37 am #

Such beauty … truly you have found your place in the world.

• Patricia May 8, 2015 at 8:52 pm #

hi Liz. i’ve lived in so many different places –have loved most of them–and when i moved on, easily loved the next place. what truly amazes me is how welcoming the earth is.

3. ravenandsparrow May 8, 2015 at 1:43 pm #

What unfolding treasure! Every day must reveal new beauties. I am looking forward to the progress of your dye garden and the prospective cloth that will arise from it.

• Patricia May 8, 2015 at 8:53 pm #

yes, the season is calling me loudly…back to the plants…to the dyeing…to the magic of all that. and i thank you for your interest. it helps me.

4. Mo Crow May 8, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

such a beautiful garden and you will make it even more so!

• Patricia May 8, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

and you will like this–today i planted five milkweed plants–once so prolific but now endangered…and i dream of monarchs.

5. jude May 9, 2015 at 7:47 am #

very much like here… this is the best time of year, the unveiling.

• Patricia May 9, 2015 at 8:04 am #

yes. the renewal. and this year a gentle ease into the heat of summer. hi Jude

Inspiration for soul-divers, seekers, and activists.