From “aaargh” to Winter Solstice and beyond

19 Dec

Aaarrrgh.  That’s where I’ve been with my computer problems.  Stuck in “the land of aaaargh.”  Yesterday this little machine was cleaned up, restored to factory settings–not by me obviously.  Good?  Yeah, but…everything I had previously installed–Norton, Picassa, Office, Sony stuff for camera–all of that had to be reloaded–by me.  Not a big deal for someone with patience, or even for someone with a bit of techno savvy–someone who keeps track of stuff like “product keys” and passwords–but that would NOT be me.  I get nuts.  Heart beats faster.  Feel tension in my forehead.  My scalp gets too small for my skull.    And constantly I hear the questions I’ve been asked lately–like “why do you have so many computer problems?”  If I only knew . . . . But there, I’ve said it–the “land of aaaargh” is where I’ve been. This is so NOT what I wanted to be posting today. I’m moving on.

But first, just to show that the lights are on and everything appears o.k.–a record–this is what “the land of aaargh” looks like.  Seems innocuous enough.computer glitch

Big shifts in my environment–cloth work environment. Jude has discontinued her on-line teaching presence. I didn’t think it would be a big deal. But it is. A BIG deal. I’m finishing up several pieces that were started during my apprenticeship and then, who knows. So as I’m looking at this cloth, this cloth that started as a plea to the universe to protect grandson. And slowly morphed into a tribute/acknowledgment of the upcoming winter solstice, the fulcrum point between seasons of life. Going deeper. Then surfacing. Dying into. Blooming out of. And now, it’s a placeholder. Marking time and space between different worlds–different dimensions. The mysteries of things we may sense but cannot see. The notion of parallel universes is stitched into this fabric. The idea that for every choice, the choice not taken also exists. The figure–grandson soaring–now feels more like spirit holding things together. Embracing all the various components as One thing. THE thing.wintersolstice13

9 Responses to “From “aaargh” to Winter Solstice and beyond”

1. Marti December 19, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Spirit, Grandson soaring, this cloth is about so much, my heart takes it in… Spirit holding things together, YES. It is the glue.. I believe that we each have an innate and instinctive ability to take what rises to the surface and present it in some creative way. These creations are touchstones into who we are and I truly doubt that they will lessen because the environment has altered; if anything, we take what we know and what we have learned and continue. I say this as someone who never took a class from Jude but who read her blog and commented. Needle and thread I have always wrestled with but little by little, call it osmosis, what I read in her blog, what I saw presented itself in a way that I have learned a few things about stitching, not only from Jude, but from all of you, in the cloth community, who bring who you are into your cloth..

• Patricia December 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

oh Marti. you are always is all way such a delight to read–and i want you to know how much your comments mean to me. just the fact that you’re here, looking–no words to say how it moves me. i want to think that the cloth process will continue–arising from within, as you say. so much of this is about simply believing in self. i’m seeing that now–but it’s also about not taking self too seriously. relaxing. breathing. i seem to moan and complain a lot around the creative process, and you know what? i’m getting tired of hearing it myself. time for a lovingly executed kick in the butt. so much love to you.

2. Kathleen December 19, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Beautiful Patricia. Pure love.

• Patricia December 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

dear Kathleen. what a surprise. i’m glad you like this piece–but i do wish someone would say, “oh poor you and your computer woes!” — (she said, realizing how out-of-proportion the computer drama became) when can i see you?

3. karmadondruplhamo....grace forrest December 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

it’s beauty FULL. in all it’s transitions and if i were you, i would close my eyes and
    imagine my self to be this figure, held, floating….and breathe in all the individual
    images here until i felt
    full.

• Patricia December 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

i did it. it worked. i’m full of light and breath. and you–you are a wonder. big thanks for helping me move into it all–and i do mean “all”–and huge love to you.

4. beth December 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

Oh poor you and your computer woes! (Did it help?) Actually, I have been there, done that, not so long ago, so it is sincere.

And I love this piece. So much about balance here.

• Anonymous December 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

yes, it helped–or at least it made me laugh. big laugh.
      you know, i’m not usually drawn to symmetry, but you’re right, the balance/in-between space was what was happening here. and just so you’ll feel better about my tragic woes–I forgot that my wireless printer had to be reinstalled–and i just did it and it was like nothing. problem is, if i have to go through this again, i probably will have forgotten everything. i mean, who in their right mind remembers this stuff? (that’s what i’m telling myself anyway.)

• Patricia December 19, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

i came up anonymous. kinda like that.

O ECOTEXTILES

INDULGENT YET RESPONSIBLE.

Inspiration for soul-divers, seekers, and activists.