Staying Put

22 Oct

Looking at this black bean dyed seven-patch, I’m seeing more than I expected.  Started as simply stitches moving out from the center.   Something to hold in my hand. For grounding.  To help me move into the rhythm of mantra-like movement.  No-thought.  Just thread.  And cloth.holding the centerLots of times I don’t recognize what  is coming forth until it’s finished. So here. Staying centered. In the midst of uncertainty. Not-quite chaos. Unsettled-ness . But there it is. Right in the center.  The reminder to stand firm.  Downloading the picture to my computer, I had to name it–and the expression “just stay put” jumped into my mind.  Where does that come from–“stay put?”  Why would the word “put” describe a state of being–or a place?

And why, in the past, did I hear that expression and immediately think “no, I won’t.” Because now it seems like very good advice. Stay put. It could as easily mean “stay centered.” Stay present.  Avoid future tripping.  Avoid the inclination to re-hash the past.  Stay. And this other cloth, another in the series of altar cloths I’m working on–cloth wrapped and marked by tin can– a path through it all. A personal shield as well–the life force of red.  And a reason to focus.just going

15 Responses to “Staying Put”

1. debbie.weaver October 22, 2013 at 10:41 am #

I love these two cloths, very centred, calming. Its amazing how shapes are drawn out from the dyed cloth by our imaginings.

• Patricia October 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

it’s also amazing how i might see something one time and go back and it’s not there–but something else is. i do love the dyeing aspect of cloth. appreciate your input.

2. Nancy October 22, 2013 at 11:07 am #

It is always soothing and provocative to come here. I love your work 🙂

• Patricia October 23, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

hi Nancy. have been wondering how you are doing? would like to hear when you get a chance.

• Nancy October 25, 2013 at 12:14 am #

Thanks, I’m feeling better…but busier than I like.

3. Mo Crow October 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

love your stitching as a centreing device and way finder

• Patricia October 23, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

a “way finder.” yes. i like that. i’m finding my way. two steps forward, one step sideways. on a good day!

4. Cathie October 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

Oh I do like both of these so much. Stay put…. my mom used to say that to me over and over and over. she is funny, excited maybe. I see myself in her. the red “way finder,” or personal shield, very graphic – yet peaceful. a beacon for a wayward soul.
    happy autumn, Patricia.

• Patricia October 23, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

i had to re-look at “her.” through your eyes. didn’t see “funny and excited” at first–well, actually didn’t feel her excitement or good humor. but yep, i think it’s there. i’m looking still. trying to articulate what she is feeling like, to me, and i find it’s not something i should voice here! much love to you.

5. deedeemallon October 22, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

going up to bed with your query about the phrase and the phrase itself in my head – ‘stay put’.

• Patricia October 23, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

and tell me, have you come up with anything?

6. beth October 23, 2013 at 12:24 am #

A very big red dot for focus there! Made me smile. And I love this little grounded antlered woman staying put.

• Patricia October 23, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

yes. still focused on red. and it’s good to hear from you. antler woman sends greetings.

7. karmadondruplhamo....grace forrest October 24, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

how the red dot changes as needed….like that very much…and the new Being….you have
    a whole community of them. it would be the advice, or the command even of antlered and
    beaked beings to their kin sometimes, to Stay Put. it’s something i would have said to
    the imaginary tribe members as a child. when something was Unknown. everyone should
    stay put while i go check it out.
    i can’t remember anyone ever saying that to me…….

• Patricia October 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

i very much like this scenario. the tribe. the center one, watching out for the others. this is making more sense to me now.