Moving Through Seasons

23 Sep

So yesterday was the autumn equinox.  Moon in Taurus.  Had to look that one up.  Because I was wondering.  Wondering just what got into me.  A flurry of clearing out my work space.  Handling pieces of cloth one by one–and I’m serious when I say there were hundreds and hundreds of little tiny pieces–and lots of big ones.  But the need to know–know what was there to work with–drove the process for hours.  I’m in between cloth right now even though i have 3-4 pieces not completed.  And when this happens the tendency is to freak a bit– Is there one coming behind these?  What is it?  And that got me thinking about this whole process –about how sometimes a cloth begins with an idea but usually it begins with a scrap of fabric that contains the idea.  So I’m looking for that scrap now.

Here.  These newly dyed scraps. dyedfabric I had to make room for them.  Need to know where they are.  There is a preciousness to them, for me, that necessitates dedicating space to their being.  And so yesterday I made space. Made space before I realized that’s what I was doing or I would have taken a “before” picture of my work area. Because now it looks like this:

drying rack
room

And this–from a long time ago–maybe the beginning of story cloth for me? John Palmer. Grandfather. Gentle man. Tamer of squirrels. Grocer. Grower of red raspberries. Antigo, Wisconsin. 1939. Proud owner of new Pontiac. I know it was a Pontiac because I loved the Indian hood ornament. Chief Pontiac. I loved it and it reminded me of a huge rock formation in WV, across the river from where I grew up. A rock formation that from many and any angle looked like the proud profile of an Indian chief. And we, all the kids in my neighborhood, KNEW it was Chief Pontiac. And to see him on the hood of this car– was about as perfect as a thing could be. johnpalmer

And yesterday this cloth was dipped into black walnut liquid for a bit and now it’s almost finished. I’ll add his name. The date. The model of automobile. 1939 Pontiac. Hmmmm. Yep. He had that car for as long as I can remember. It lived in a little narrow clapboard garage next to the house in the background that he built himself. When electric tools were NOT available. Every year our family would sojourn to Wisconsin for a one-month visit. And every year I noticed the car became dustier and dustier. But he always carefully backed it out of the garage for us, and drove us up and down the neatly laid out streets of Antigo. It was a big deal.

Then this. scraps More ancestral images. That thread seems very predominant right now. The “what came before” segueing into the now of “what is.” And the constant movement of this. The idea that I am my mother’s daughter while the same time my daughter’s mother. And a grandmother to boot. An ancestor. Past, present and future rolled into one. The seasons of.

7 Responses to “Moving Through Seasons”

1. Nancy September 23, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

Oh the things we KNOW as children…aren’t they just the best? To be so sure.
    Love the Grandpa cloth (and story) and how it holds more color at the edges.

• Patricia September 23, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

you’re right. the certainty of knowing that kids have. such a progression–from knowing–to knowing nothing–and hopefully back again. much love to you.

2. Els September 23, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Love your new dyed pieces, so neatly stacked 😉
    A good place to work you have … hmmmm a wonderful Mola !!!
    (I have one too)

• Patricia September 23, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

hi Els. so glad to hear from you. yes, i love my little workroom. it’s actually a space that was added onto the back of the house before i moved in. not heated but i’m able to keep it warm enough in the winter–and i love the views. mola found at Goodwill. the things people get rid of! love

3. Mo Crow September 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

It’s that very organized and together Sun in Virgo time of the year Patricia! even those of us who are totally messy all the rest of the year have to organize our books and shelves and brains… my best girlfriends over the years are all Virgos and are the only people on this planet who I allow to tell me what to do (& they are usually right!) annoying but true! The counterbalance last week was the dreaminess of the Full Moon in Pisces (which is my sign and annoys the h… out of Virgos)

• Patricia September 23, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

oh yes. virgo i know well. have virgo moon and virgo rising but always think of this time of year as belonging to Libra. g-son’s bday next Friday and daughter’s the week after. but YES–THAT’s what was going on!

4. karmadondruplhamo, (grace) September 27, 2013 at 11:08 am #

love looking around your Room. i just keep cruising it….

and beginning with a single scrap? , yes. i think that is often what happens for me and
    really, maybe always. sometimes i think i have a cloth somewhere in mind, a very vague
    sense of it, but when that one single scrap appears, things begin to Move.