Primordial Soup

24 Feb

There’s a certain kind of day in early early spring–a day like today–when it’s absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to stay out of the dirt. The feeling is ancient, primordial. The need. To feel the cold soil. To smell the earth. To cradle seeds in the palm before sowing.  I’m in a different planting zone now, here in NC, but I trust that instinct that arises and says NOW. Do this NOW. And so today mulch was pulled back and beet and spinach seeds entered the earth.  And the snow peas are UP.   Today.  The beginning of another growing season.

And I’ve started a new piece. Wanting to use some of the fabric I dyed last summer and fall.  Fabrics are mostly linen–except for the found cotton used on the birds–and dyes were from pomegranate/indigo/rust/black walnut–and I think that’s it.  My record keeping is non-existent.  I keep telling myself I’ll remember what I used, what I did–ha.  Maybe this year I’ll write stuff down?   So anyway.  Today.  Another beginning.    No idea where it’s going but I’m calling it Primordial Soup.

ps2

10 Responses to “Primordial Soup”

1. Carol February 24, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

I love it, Patricia, the cloth. Yes, it is time to “dig in the dirt.” I long for spring.

2. Linda February 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

Primordial—the word speaks its meaning—plan to keep in my mind for as long as I can…and the cloth speaks too

• Patriciatricia February 25, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

primordial–love getting that second syllable out! it seems to go on and on and on.

3. Nancy February 25, 2013 at 4:08 am #

Patricia this cloth already says so very much! The colors…the crows…it’s wonderful.

• Patriciatricia February 25, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

i think it may sit for a day, a bit, a while? but i’m listening to it, ready to move when it leads the way.

4. Mo Crow February 25, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

oh this is a very inviting portal into the the space in between love the reveal through the veiling

• patricia February 25, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

love what that brings up–“the space in between”–and it has me thinking about parallel universes. hmmmmmm.

5. Anonymous March 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

love this piece and looking forward to seeing where it goes – will it join what-if?

i used to keep records of my cloth dyeing too …… gave up as i knew i would never do the same thing twice whether or not i knew how to do it …. the surprise element is more important

• stickyfingers/eva March 17, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

ooops, i didn’t mean to be anonymous
      stickyfingers

O ECOTEXTILES

INDULGENT YET RESPONSIBLE.

Inspiration for soul-divers, seekers, and activists.