Stepping Up

6 Dec

For months and months I have been hanging out at various fabric artists’  blog sites–sometimes leaving comments but generally just viewing from afar.  And for several months I have been taking what can only be described as a journey through cloth–and in to self– with the fabric artist Jude Hill at http://spiritcloth.typepad.com.   So now it’s time.  Time  to share.  Time to give back, in a sense, to the community of cloth at large.  Time to reach out and probably time to sometimes ask for help.    But like so much we encounter in life, things are often not as they seem.   So I’m beginning this process having no idea where it will lead but ready to “follow thread” nevertheless.

It has often occurred to me that working with cloth is, in many ways, a metaphor for life.   Perhaps the process of blogging will be the same.  It feels like a commitment to self, a commitment to record the moments in between what we generally call the “big things” that happen.   Those little moments that actually define the warp and the weft of our existence.   I’m guessing that process and perseverance in blogging, as in the creation and re-purposing of cloth, are two elements of equal importance.    So I will proceed now with the intention to continue–remembering the lines of the I Ching:  Perseverance furthers.

026

15 Responses to “Stepping Up”

1. sumicha December 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

can’t wait to see more of your blog. the world needs your art xo

• Anonymous December 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

couldn’t have done it w/o you!

2. emily December 6, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

What a wonderful introduction to a new blogging adventure! 🙂

• patricia December 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

adventure. yes, i like that notion.

3. Jennifer December 6, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

I love this!

• Laurie Berry Clifford December 6, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

I am moved to tears.

• patricia December 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

now the journey begins–another journey actually

4. Linda December 7, 2012 at 1:14 am #

Love it all…but especially love what you have named this wonderful new form of “your” wisdom.

• Anonymous December 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

Thanks, Linda! Not sure about the “wisdom” part though.

5. Mo Crow December 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Oh what a beautiful beginning!

• patricia December 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

MO! you just made my day. what are you doing here??? and thank you sooooo much. this IS going to be an interesting journey.

6. grace Forrest~Maestas December 7, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

oh, this is so GREAT! like having been given the address and arriving. coming in to a
    completely empty room, all filled with light, this cloth on the wall.
    This makes be really really glad…
    love, g

• patricia December 7, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

this is just to much. the way i feel seeing you HERE–well, being THERE is wonderful too but welcome. wish i could fix you a cup of tea. bet mo would say cuppa.

7. Mimmin Dove December 7, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Love your new blog and those flying birds on your cloth!
    I, like you have been looking from afar, only recently started commenting and have just signed up for one of Jude’s classes. I hope to start a blog sometime too; is wordpress easy to start up and use?

• patricia December 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

so good to hear from you! just did my second posting and really like what is opening up as a results–like hearing from you. you will absolutely LOVE jude’s classes–what an amazing woman! i went to wordpress because i have a friend who helped me. she said it’s very “intuitive” so maybe it is–couldn’t prove it by me. a lot in jude’s class use typepad and they have great customer support but there is a monthly fee.